Tuesday, September 20, 2005

This Must Be How Normal People Live

HI!

(I am hoping maybe if I say hi really enthusiastically no one will notice I haven't posted in FOR-GODDAMN-EVER). Yeah... sorry about that. I really don't want to write posts when at work, but given the fact that I still do not have my computer back, (although YAY! S, he has fixed it, except for the sticky space key which I am SURE has NOTHING to do with the incident involving the champagne. Not a THING), I have finally decided to risk posting at work rather than risk losing all your interest.

The thing is, life has been bouncing along relatively nicely in all areas which I write about here. Work, which unfortunately I can't write about here, has been Pure. Comic. Gold., even if I am the only one who finds it funny. Remember the Judy Bloom book Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing? I need to write Tales of the Retirement Age Drama Queens. But anyway.

Last week was fun and rather insane as I somehow managed to go out almost every night. I also managed the Best. Law school. Escape. Ever. Law school? SO does not hate me! See, Friday the proverbial shit hit the proverbial fan at work, leaving all of us to clean up the proverbial mess. (Possibly while giggling evilly). Anyway, I was exhausted and decided I could get away with not reading my corporations, because 1. I hate corporations, and 2. He only calls on the people "at bat" for that day, and while he tortures THEM, those not at bat might as well not even be there. So really, I could get away with not doing the reading. Right?

Wrong.

Note to self: When deciding upon whether or not to do reading based on the amount you can rely on people "At Bat", be sure to first acertain that YOU are not ONE of those people.

Yeah. So I walk into class Friday and Freak. The Fuck. Out. Because not only did I not do the reading, the question for the day regarded three types of corporate mergers under three different statutory frameworks and it was NOT something that I could just BS my way through. And have I mentioned that I HATE CORPORATIONS??? NO? WELL I DO. SEE? I HATE IT ENOUGH TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS. SO THERE.

A did his best to keep me calm but all he could really do is feed me cigarettes at break. But y'all? I was fine. Miracles do happen, and Friday's miracle is that the man ran out of time before he could call on me. He ran out of time, and my law school career is intact.

So the weekend began with me being totally stressed out, but a Katrina Benefit featuring the music of D1 and the drinking ability of kickball quickly put me in a better mood. Then the Peanut showed up, and I hung out with her until she could retrieve the money that the bar was donating (she works for a Very Involved Non Profit) and then we went to McDonalds and came home.

Saturday I went to El Capitan's house for a BBQ, which was fun because I had never been there before. We drank a lot of wine and ate a lot of things with unnatural amounts of garlic in them. It was a nice, normal, fun night in which I did not: 1. Fall down, 2. need supervision, or 3. Scare myself into staying up all night (even though Kate wasn't home). Y'all? I just may be getting boring.

Sunday The Peanut came over and I remembered that she likes the same type of B-rate monster movie I do, so we watched Peter Benchley's The Beast. Then I went to the mall with her to go to Ann Taylor, where there was much trying on and possibly some weeping because I canNOT buy the $138 dollar dress, no I canNOT. There was also a plan hatched in which we are going to the Delaware outlet malls soonish and spending absurd amounts of money. Yay fall clothes!

Then we went to the grocery store, which was supposed to be a quick stop before the Peanut went home, but turned into a FAR greater adventure than necessary, and I am not sure why. The Peanut and I have a way of having conversations that evolve into plans that in no way make any sense. See, mussels were on sale. The Peanut said she only liked mussels if they were "cooked a certain way", that way being "the way the expensive restaurant she used to work at cooked them." So I decided NOT to buy them, since Kate wouldn't eat them and neither the Peanut nor I had ever cooked them before, and the Peanut needed to get home anyway. Somehow this evolved into a strange deal with the cosmos, in which we would buy mussels and eat them for dinner if we could find sea salt. This almost makes sense, except that the recipe on the back of the mussels bag, which we would be following since we didn't know any other recipe, did not contain even an ounce of sea salt. But we found sea salt, and then I lost my mind and sat in front of the white wines for approximately 87 hours having NO IDEA what a "dry" white wine to cook the mussels in would be. Eventually, I literally grabbed something off the shelf labeled "Dry White Wine" and dragged the Peanut out of the store.

So even though she was supposed to go home hours before, and even though we had clearly decided not to cook mussels, at 9 o'clock at night we were eating a steaming bowl of mussels and watching Peter Benchley's Creature.

Hee.

And y'all? I am SO having a dinner party soon, because DAMN can I make some good mussels.