Sunday, February 24, 2008

Hanging In There

Back several months ago, when I would explain my "plan" for the early part of 2008 to people, the conversation would go something like this:

Well Meaning and Apparently, Quite Bright Person: "So, you're getting married in April."

Me, Stupid, and Also In Denial: "Yep!"

WMAQBP: "And finishing law school, right about the same time as the wedding?"

Me: "Yep!"

WMAQBP: "So then you are also moving to Texas, like, right in that time frame of just a few weeks, where you have to pack up all of your stuff and then unpack it all 3,000 miles away and deal with all the BS that comes from moving and also apply for the bar and start taking Bar classes?"

Me: "Yep!"

WMAQBP: "And you also are working, again? At a job that takes up even more time?"

Me: "Yes, and I really don't see where you are going with this."

Oh, y'all. I see where they were going with this. In theory, this did not all seem like such a bad, bad idea. Lots of things work in theory. It's like that crashing elevator jumping thing, where when the elevator is crashing all you have to do is jump in the air right before impact, and will be perfectly fine? In theory, that makes sense to me. In reality, I saw on TV the egg or whatever else get the everloving shit smashed out of it regardless of jumping or not, because "theory" and "reality" are not so much synonymous. Damn.

Really, things are going... ok. I mean, it's not like I haven't been perpetually stressed out from the moment I went to law school. It's just that now I see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is really emphasizing how dark and frustrating the tunnel actually is, and I don't want to be in it anymore. At ALL. In 3 months, I will be done with law school, living back in Texas, with only bar classes to go to, and I cannot tell you how excited I am to be there.

Also, Guitar Hero. More on that in a minute.

But I have to make it through the tunnel first, so here is where I am with that:

Law School: Almost there. Almost. There. Almostthere. I have three major research assignments due this semester and I am not liking it at all. The good part is, the professors are all forcing us to turn in reserach, outlines, etc. early, so by the end of the semester I will have made at least "progress", which is more than I usually make during the semester.

Work: Hahaha. Don't ask. Work is hysterical and also? Annoying. I like the part-timeness and the temporaryness and the money. That's.... about it.

Moving: The Joker found a phenomenal location that we really want to live in, now we just have to wait until mid-March to see what they have open. This is really the first tangible thing that I have focused on and gotten really excited about. More news on it if we can secure a place there.

Life: Bar application: not yet done, driving me nuts. Taxes: Done, hate my county and state and cannot wait for the living in a state with no state taxes. Student loans: In far better shape than initially thought, found "missing" 30,000 dollars. (um, hee?). Discovered magical mystery benefactor who paid off all loans for masters degree. Then discovered that magical benefactor was actually self, and self's loan company, which paid old loans off when I consolidated a few years ago. Which was not nearly as exciting as magical benefactor, but also nice that I figured out where the money went.

Wedding: Oh my god y'all, I'm getting married. Like, REALLY REALLY REALLY SOON. We've gotten enough accomplished that the wedding has become less of a stressful "to do" list and is now an actual reality, and I am getting married, like soon. I'm excited. More specific wedding posts later.

Guitar Hero: My new obsession, this game has not helped so much with the time management but does wonders for the stress management. This makes me happy on the same level that American Idol and LOLcats do, so that's saying something. I am a Rock God. Srsly.

Ok, I have to stop procrastinating and get back to work, but I want to start actually blogging again so we'll see where this goes.

Labels: , ,