Tuesday, November 15, 2005

There Seems To Be Some Residual Cookbook Anger, Here

Hi again. How are all of you out in lovely internet land? In case y'all couldn't tell, I am feeling a lot better. Also? Entirely cracked out. But a LOT. BETTER. Why am I feeling better? Well, there are lots and lots of reasons, but here is a quick rundown of the highlights:

1. I got a new job! Still in my agency, but for lot more money and for a new boss. One of these things HIGHLY outweighs the other, and it's probably not the one you think it is.

2. I decided to go home for Thanksgiving, and home is now Houston, meaning I get to go back to Texas! And that is healing, in a lot of ways.

3. Long, helpful e-mails with friends near and far, especially Prairie- hang in there, hon. And keep writing e-mails.

4. Corporations? Is making far more sense that I had any right to expect it to, and there is a small chance I may not actually fail out of law school.

5. Insane city adventures with the Peanut, possibly involving four minute dating and the Peanut saying, deadpan to the bartender: Peanut: (holding out her empty rum and coke glass) "You see this $10 bill? I will give you this $10 bill if you fill this glass with vodka". Classic.

6. Did I mention I got a new job? Because, YAY.

7. Insane city cab rides involving a cute gay man who buys me cigarettes and a six pack of Miller Lite. Yeah, I said cab ride.

8. E also got a job, so yay E and general happiness abounding in my apartment!

So see? Lots and lots to be happy about. Plus, Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away, which means in less than 2 weeks Kate and I can listen to Christmas music and decorate, a realization that caused much excitement last night. My building sponsored a little traveling bookstore* today, and I bought 4 Christmas CD's in anticipation.

* Sidenote on the book store. The selection of books was almost entirely children's books and self help books with the word "God" in their titles. And there was a book called "1000 Places You Must See Before You Die". Now, seriously. If you are living your life, and have some brain cells IN YOUR HEAD, and you cannot come up with your own list of places to see before you die, and you have to rely on a GENERIC, MASS PUBLISHED book to tell you what you must do to live a meaningful life, you may as well already be dead. But that's just my thoughts on the matter.

My other thoughts? Come from the "Six Ingredients or Less" cookbook. I can't help but feel like if it's only six ingredients, I probably can figure it out for myself. It's like when I look in the SBD cookbook, and there are recipes like, "Turkey Wraps", and it proceeds as follows:

1. Lay tortilla on plate.
2. Put 2 slices turkey on tortilla.
3. Spread one tablespoon mustard on turkey.
4. Roll up and enjoy.

I mean, yes, that is, in fact, a "Turkey Wrap", but... I mean, are there actually people out there who cannot manage this without instructions?!? To whom it has never occurred that mustard and turkey might pair nicely? People who get all the way to step 4 and are just like, "OH! Now I get it!"? Come on, people. When I see a recipe for a "Turkey Wrap", I want instructions on how to baste and roast the turkey, create a lovely Dijon from mustard seeds and vinegar and bake my own damn rosemary lavash. (note, I would probably never actually do this, but that's the kind of cookbook I want).

So the bookstore was relatively useless, although I did manage to procure my aforementioned Christmas music, a Far Side desk calendar, and a Christmas themed fleece blanket (oh, don't even ask).

Anyway, I should get back to work, but I wanted to stop by and say that yes, I am doing better, and things should start heating up here in the next few weeks...

You'll see.